At Eunice's wedding, Lily sported an adorable sparkly crown to complete her sweet flower girl ensemble. Want to make one for your flower girl? Read on for our free how-to guide!
Photography by Gia Canali & Sara Remington
Glass Glitter Crown How-to Guide
You'll Need: (Makes 1 crown)
- Crown template
- Scissors or craft knife, ruler and cutting mat
- 16 in. x 6 in. piece of chipboard
- Pen or pencil
- Piece of copy paper, or a file folder
- Craft glue
- Glue brush
- Glitter (we used glass glitter from here)
- 2 sheets crepe paper scraps in gold and fuchsia, at least 6 in. x 10 in.
- Hot glue gun
- 2 17-in. pieces of 3/8-in. ribbon
- Make the crown. Cut out the template, trace crown pattern onto a piece of chipboard at least 16 in. long x 6 in. wide. Cut out the crown using scissors or a craft knife, ruler and cutting mat.
- Glitter the crown. Fold a piece of paper in half, open it back up and lay it flat on your work surface (or lay an open file folder on your work surface). You will use this to protect your work surface from glue and to collect excess glitter. Lay one end of the crown on the paper. Using a brush, apply a generous layer of white glue over a 3-in. section of the crown and cover entire area with glitter. Lift crown and flick the back to release excess glitter. Fold the paper in half and return excess glitter to its pot. Repeat this process until the entire crown is glittered. For each new section overlap the glue on the previous glittered section about 1/4-in. to insure thorough coverage. Allow to dry completely.
- Add the rosettes. Using scissors, cut a piece of 1-in. x 1-in. scrap crepe paper. This will serve as a backing for assembling each rosette. Cut a 1-in. x 10-in. strip of gold crepe paper, with the grain (the creases in the paper) running in the short direction. Accordion fold along the grain into 1/4-in. sections. When the entire strip is folded, align the two ends, pinch the center and allow the outer edges to flair. Holding center in place, squeeze a drop of hot glue onto the scrap paper. Press the center of the rosette onto the glue and hold in place until it dries. Cut a 1/4-in. x 3-in strip of fuchsia crepe paper and accordion fold into 1/8-in. sections, and pinch into a rosette. Apply a dab of hot glue to the center of the larger gold rosette, and press the small rosette down into it. Repeat of each rosette. When all 5 rosettes are complete, center each one below a point in the crown and hot glue the backing to the crown.
- Finish the crown. Match the ends of the crown together and staple into place. Cut two 17" pieces of 3/8" ribbon and glue one piece to the inside of each side of the crown with a hot glue gun.
Download the DIY template here.